Monday, March 7, 2011

twenty–two skidoo

Per usual, things have been CRAZY busy lately, but in the best way possible!
In addition the life I've created for myself under a theoretical boardwalk doing thesis work, I've managed to simultaneously produce a very exciting piece for my artist's book midterm (will post after the crit), and learn how to successfully make a lithographic print.


Excellent Signage!

Also, I last week I turned twenty-two! It was probably the most fun birthday I've had while at MICA. My friends and I went out to dinner at the famed Owl Bar inside the Hotel Belvedere. I've been walking up and down Charles Street for the past 4 years, and that was the first time I went in. The building was beautiful with a somewhat sullied yet still opulent grand entrance. I can only imagine what it must have been to be there in it's heyday, now it was particularly surreal. I don't know what I was expecting from the Owl Bar, probably a little bit of that tarnished grandeur from the main entrance with a touch of jazz age flair. It was definitely not that, but more of an elaborate old-timey sports bar. I would not eat there again, but certainly would return for a Baltimore Lemonade, a concoction which seems to consist of bourbon, lemon juice, sugar and water. I went with high hopes of encountering some sort of remnant from the time of F. Scott Fitzgerald who is fabled to have frequented the watering hole, but I most certainly did not. I would still recommend going, if not just for a touristy-I-saw-this-when-I-was-in-Baltimore-type excursion.


Here I am with my goofy business face on in front of an ornate elevator door.

Later that evening, we also went to Friday Night Karaoke downstairs at Aloha Sushi, and it was AWESOME! Such a bizarre experience. Great sushi, good drinks, excellent companions, in comfortable yet slightly peculiar environment; a microcosm of Mt. Vernon. Highly recommend, only to those who like Japanese/Korean cuisine and have a good sense of humor.

I am so lucky to have such wonderful family and friends.
Thanks so much for a very excellent two days celebrating!

No comments: