Friday, February 27, 2009

If you're in Brooklyn Tomorrow Night...

This might be a fun thing to go to!



Recently I discovered Remed's work through the Brooklynite Gallery and I really like it.






Aside from Fafi, Claw Money, and Miss Van, I don't really know much about street art, and I don't pretend to. I'm friends with Gaia , and I have respect for what he does and like a lot of his work. Mostly, I respect his ability to hustle. It's really awesome to see one of your peers get shows in galleries on the other side of the country you know.



It seems that there's this dispute about "street art" being in the gallery, people questioning if it belongs there or whatever, but art is art. If its more accessible to people because they see it every day on their way to work or school, that's awesome! As I designer and fine artist, I know that as a young kid I was influenced by what I saw in my neighborhood and around my city.
Having that work in a gallery setting gives artists an opportunity to be recognized, make some money, and be exposed to a different audience. Max and I went to see Os Gemeos at Deitch gallery and that was a really wonderful experience.

I'm not going to be back in TriState area for another week and a half, but when I get back I'd really like to check out the show.

No comments: