Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Tomboy

I recently purchased Panda Bear's Tomboy. I can't remember the last time I felt so good listening to a new album; all of the tracks feel really earnest and hopeful, also a little melancholy. I think a lot of that has to do with certain Wilsonian symphonic moments. The album reminds me a lot of the bonus instrumental tracks on the deluxe edition of the Beach Boy's Pet Sounds.



I haven't really had a chance to read much about the record but saw Ted McGrath's illustration for Nylon magazine on Tumblr. He has a really nice blog about his process here. Capitol Record's Endless Summer compilation album art is an adventure in itself, my friend Max gave me a copy of it a few years ago. There is something about the line work that is particularly unsettling but inviting in a very weird 70s way. If you can get your hands on a copy, which shouldn't be that hard, it's totally worth investigating.

No comments: