Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Clare Rojas

Art makes me feel good.
Making art makes me feel good.
I love when other people's art makes me feel good.

I can't remember if I've talked about this before, but I really enjoy the work of Clare Rojas. I found out about her last year when I got Revisionaries at the MoMA. It's A Small World, Grandma Moses, traditional Slovak toys and decorations my grandma would bring back after her trips: things that imediatly came to mind when I first saw her work. I think that's refreshing. She implements elements of folk art that I really love (like using found materials instead of canvas, and using traditional flat pastoral images) but reflecting contemporary identities and events. There is a certain familiarity and femininity in her work that I really appreciate and gravitate to. She currently has work up at the New Image Gallery with a bunch of other really rad artists, if you're a California person, check it out!





No comments: