Sunday, January 4, 2009

wings for wheels

I know it sounds really corny when people start talking about albums changing their lives, but in all honesty, Born To Run changed mine.

Growing up in a small city in New Jersey, you always heard about Bruce Springsteen. I always kind of dismissed it. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't because it was what my uncles were listening to. I've always respected their tastes and have had a fondness for classic rock. I just couldn't tell you why. Maybe it's because the one Springsteen record in my possession at the time was Born In The U.S.A. I don't know. But anyway,

Last year when I went away to school in Baltimore, I had this funny homesickness. I bought Born to Run, with the idea of this album being what I wanted to think about when I thought of New Jersey. I just sat there in my dorm room and listened, for hours, on repeat. It was more than what I could have ever expected. Songs about leaving, songs about something more, songs about friendship. I guess I am being kind of a cheeseball now. But all this presented with a beautifully touching grittiness that just got to the core of things for me. It's like with every song I could smell the ocean air, feel that desperation and not feel alone at the same time. And thus began my love affair with Bruce Springsteen. My brother likes to joke and call me a "Bruceologist" from time to time.

For Christmas this year with my Italian half of the family (we do two Christmas celebrations), we had a Secret Santa. Uncle Bob, who as I get to know better just becomes more interesting, got me the Born To Run 30th Anniversary Edition box set. With the Album, a DVD of the Hammersmith Live, and Wings For Wheels: The Making Of Born To Run. I've been watching Wings For Wheels a lot since I got it. It's really interesting to me to see the preciseness of the construction and production of the album, sonically and lyrically. When Bruce and the E Street band talk about what they were trying to convey, it was like this affirmation that I got it. When I listened, I got what they were trying to say, you know? I don't know, it was just really wonderful to have that kind of feeling.

The box set rules, I definitely recommend it to any Springsteen fan.


This is a screenprint I made two semesters ago, edition of eleven, one of my favorite pieces

No comments: